Mubarak aide Faruq Hosni cleared of corruption charges

PUBLISHED : Monday, 07 January, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 07 January, 2013, 4:40am
 

Faruq Hosni, who was Egypt's culture minister for more than two decades under ousted president Hosni Mubarak, has been cleared of corruption charges, according to a judicial source.

A criminal court in Cairo "found Faruq Hosni not guilty on charges of corruption and illegal enrichment," the source said.

In September, state media reported that he had been accused of illegally acquiring 18 million Egyptian pounds (HK$21.5 million).

The source said he has denied all charges against him.

Hosni told the court he had "worked for 23 years in the culture ministry, overseeing works worth billions, and without the slightest temptation to monopolise them".

Hosni was placed on a travel ban, along with a host of officials, shortly after the uprising that brought Mubarak's regime down in February 2011, but the ban was later lifted.

The decision to prosecute him came after a long investigation during which Hosni "could not provide legitimate sources for the wealth he accrued", the official Mena news agency said.

Share

Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.

Related topics