NewsWorld
ARGENTINA

Bride Edith Casas ties knot with her twin sister's killer in Argentina

Saturday, 16 February, 2013, 12:00am

A woman married the man convicted of killing her twin sister in a Valentine's Day wedding that was boycotted by the bride's family and sparked a demonstration.

A mob hurled stones and eggs as the civil ceremony took place in a court in the Argentine town of Pico Truncado.

The bride, 23-year-old Edith Casas, says Victor Cingolani is innocent of killing her twin sister, Johana, more than two years ago, despite his conviction and 13-year prison sentence.

The bridegroom maintains he will be cleared on appeal.

But the twins' father was disconsolate. "For me, they are both dead. Johana is with God and Edith with the devil," said Valentin Casas.

For me, they are both dead. Johana is with God and Edith with the devil

Cingolani, 28, was taken back to prison in handcuffs immediately after the ceremony.

Meanwhile, Edith was forced to wait for hours until the crowd dispersed and it was safe to leave the registry office.

The wedding was to have taken place in December, but was blocked by the mother of the twins, Marcelina del Carmen Orellana. She said Edith was crazy and sought to block the wedding on psychiatric grounds.

But the authorities found Edith capable of making her own decisions and said the wedding could go ahead. Johana's body was found in a field in 2010. She had been twice in the chest.

Police detained Cingolani, who was Johana's former boyfriend, and Marcos Diaz, a neighbour believed to have been her boyfriend at the time.

Police later released Diaz, citing lack of evidence.

Cingolani said his relationship with Edith began after he broke up with Johana and that he had nothing to do with her death.

"All the evidence points to another person," he insisted.

But the twins' mother said: "Edith is being threatened by the Cingolani family."

Additional reporting by Agence France-Presse

Login

SCMP.com Account

or