• Wed
  • Oct 1, 2014
  • Updated: 6:39pm

Boston Marathon bombs

On April 15, 2013, two bomb blasts rocked the annual Boston Marathon, injuring more than 170 people and killing three others: Martin Richard, 8; Krystle Campbell, 29; and Lu Lingzu, 23, a Chinese student at Boston University. The suspects later forced a standoff with authorities. They were identified as two ethnic Chechen brothers from southern Russia who had been in the US for about a decade, 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his 26-year-old brother, Tamerlan, who died in the gun battle. Dzhokhar was arrested on April 19, 2013.


Man who posted online threats to bomb Singapore arrested

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 21 April, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Sunday, 21 April, 2013, 8:25am

A 34-year-old man has been arrested in Singapore over an online threat to bomb several locations in the city state in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon attack, police said yesterday.

The man, whose name and nationality were not disclosed, was arrested on Thursday after making the threat as a comment on a news article about the fatal bombings in Boston, police said.

"Preliminary investigations indicated that the suspect had no intention or means to carry out his threats," said the statement.

The Straits Times reported the man had posted the comment on the Yahoo Singapore website.

Making bomb threats in Singapore is an offence punishable by a maximum of five years in jail or a fine of up to S$100,000 (HK$630,000), or both.

Separately, police said they were investigating a threat to bomb the Singapore Marathon in December, but there have been no arrests to date.

The police statement said authorities took a serious view of anyone who "capitalises on recent security concerns" to alarm the public with bomb hoaxes, and would spare no effort to track down those responsible.

Earlier yesterday, a Singapore Airlines plane carrying 280 passengers from Manila was inspected by police due to what the carrier called a "potential security incident".

Passengers were allowed to leave at around 3am, some four hours after the plane landed at Singapore's Changi Airport.

Police said no arrests were made and declined to give any specific details of the case, but sources said it was the result of a bomb hoax.


For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive




SCMP.com Account