US Naval Academy investigates rape allegation
Football players at US naval institution investigated in year-old case

Several football players at the United States Naval Academy are under investigation on allegations they raped a female midshipman at a party last year.
Naval criminal investigators were examining the allegations lodged against three football players at the academy in Annapolis, Maryland.
The case highlighted a growing crisis over sexual assaults in the military's ranks and comes a week after US President Barack Obama spoke at the academy, warning that the problem threatened to undermine discipline in the armed forces.
The investigation, stemming from an April 2012 party, has sputtered off and on for more than a year, hampered in part by the woman's initial reluctance to co-operate, the officials said.
She was ashamed and then later felt intimidated, according to her lawyer.
Academy officials said that the men were allowed to play for the team last autumn because no charges had ever been brought in the case, and that they were accorded the presumption of innocence as a result.
On April 14, 2012, the woman, then a third-class midshipman, says that she went to a crowded off-campus party hosted by a group of football players.