• Sat
  • Apr 19, 2014
  • Updated: 4:18am

Edward Snowden

30-year-old American Edward Snowden, a contract employee at the National Security Agency, is the whistleblower behind significant revelations that surfaced in June 2013 about the US government's top secret, extensive domestic surveillance programmes. Snowden flew to Hong Kong from Hawaii in May 2013, and supplied confidential US government documents to media outlets including the Guardian

NewsWorld
SECRECY

Britiain says seized Snowden documents a ‘threat to life’

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 31 August, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 31 August, 2013, 3:11am

Documents seized from the partner of Guardian journalist Glenn Greenwald might threaten Britain's national security, damage the economy and lead to "widespread loss of life", a government adviser said.

The information, taken from David Miranda on August 18 at Heathrow Airport, "is highly likely to describe techniques which have been crucial in life-saving counter-terrorist operations" and could identify British intelligence agents abroad, Oliver Robbins, a UK national security adviser, said in documents released during a court hearing.

The information [taken from David Miranda] 'is highly likely to describe techniques which have been crucial in life-saving counter-terrorist operations' and could identify British intelligence agents abroad

It was the first time the government had offered specific reasoning behind why security services and police are so concerned about material seized from Miranda.

Greenwald has written stories based on material leaked by former US National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden.

Robbins also said that Miranda and others had shown "very poor judgement in their security arrangements", including carrying a piece of paper containing the password for encrypted files.

He said media stories about the documents seized from Miranda had already caused harm.

Guardian editor-in-chief Alan Rusbridger dismissed the statement as containing "unsubstantiated and inaccurate claims".

Miranda, who returned to Brazil after being released by officers, had asked the London court to issue an injunction stopping police from examining the material.

But the court heard yesterday that lawyers representing him and the British authorities had agreed to give British police and the interior ministry until October - when a review will be held - to continue examining the seized data.

London's Metropolitan Police Service welcomed the court decision, saying in a statement that it needed to sift through the highly sensitive material to protect public safety.

Miranda's attorneys described the decision as a pragmatic one and said that Miranda had decided he would make his full argument in October.

Bloomberg, Reuters, Associated Press

Share

2

This article is now closed to comments

henry.ong.1865
couldn't agree more... Mr Snowden's 'dead man's switch' is waiting in the wings...
henry.ong.1865
Most definitely a threat to the billions some prominent persons stand to make out of the misery of others, not to mention the various relatives who are their legal and shell company nominees who also stand to make a 'killing'. Better not let the secrets leak out my dear - there's always a brilliant woman behind these lucrative schemes!

Login

SCMP.com Account

or