• Wed
  • Oct 2, 2013
  • Updated: 9:36pm
NewsWorld
CANADA

Canada urges release of two men held in Egyptian jail

Wednesday, 02 October, 2013 [Updated: 9:35PM]

Canada's foreign minister has warned Egypt that the detention of two Canadians without charges for the past several weeks is a significant threat to relations between the two countries.

Foreign Minister John Baird said on Tuesday that he told his Egyptian counterpart that in "no uncertain terms" it was unacceptable. He said Canada's prime minister had directed that all resources be brought to bear to secure their release.

Tarek Loubani, a doctor, and filmmaker John Greyson have been held without charges since mid-August and were ordered detained for another 45 days at the weekend.

The men say they were observing an anti-government protest on August 16 when Loubani heeded a call for a doctor and began treating wounded demonstrators while Greyson recorded the unrest on video.

The pair released a statement on Saturday saying they had been beaten and subjected to degrading treatment.

"It is simply unacceptable that Canadians can be held this long with no specific charges, no specific evidence," Baird said.

Baird said he told the new Egyptian foreign minister that it was "a significant problem in our bilateral relations".

Baird said he "didn't see any light at the end of the tunnel" despite holding what he called a productive meeting with his Egyptian counterpart on Friday.

Login

SCMP.com Account

or