UNITED STATES

Manslaughter conviction of Michael Jackson doctor Conrad Murray upheld

The doctor jailed for the involuntary manslaughter of pop star Michael Jackson had his conviction upheld on Wednesday in a California appellate court

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 16 January, 2014, 10:40am
UPDATED : Thursday, 16 January, 2014, 10:46pm

A California appellate court refused on Wednesday to overturn the conviction of Michael Jackson’s personal physician, Conrad Murray, who was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the death of the pop star.

The three-judge panel of California 2nd District Court of Appeal unanimously upheld Murray’s 2011 conviction, ruling that there was sufficient evidence and there were no errors during his trial.

Grenada-born Murray, 60, was released from a Los Angeles jail in October after serving two years.

Murray’s six-week trial in 2011 grabbed global attention after Jackson, preparing for a series of comeback concerts in London, died unexpectedly in 2009 at age 50 from an overdose of the surgical anaesthetic, propofol.

Prosecutors successfully argued at the trial that Murray, who was hired by concert promoter AEG Live as Jackson’s general practitioner, was grossly negligent in administering the powerful anaesthetic, which was used to help the singer sleep.

Murray’s attorneys presented the case that Jackson had injected himself with the powerful anaesthetic.

The cardiologist’s current attorney handling his appeal, Valerie Wass, said she anticipated a further appeal would be filed to the California Supreme Court.

“I’m always of the opinion that he has a better chance in the [California] Supreme Court or federal court,” Wass said.

Murray, whose medical license was either suspended or lapsed in California, Nevada, Texas and Hawaii, has said he wants to practice again, but so far his appeals have been turned down.