Kerry adopts US visa ban for those implicated in wartime sex violence | South China Morning Post
  • Mon
  • Jan 26, 2015
  • Updated: 12:31am
NewsWorld

Kerry adopts US visa ban for those implicated in wartime sex violence

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 27 February, 2014, 12:08am
UPDATED : Thursday, 27 February, 2014, 12:08am
 

US Secretary of State John Kerry has announced a ban on the issuing of US visas to foreigners implicated in wartime sexual violence.

"No one at the highest level of military or governance who has presided over, or engaged in, or knew of, or adopted these kinds of attacks is ever going to receive a visa to travel into the United States of America from this day forward," Kerry said during talks with his British counterpart, William Hague.

Hague applauded Kerry's announcement.

"The shattering of impunity ... is the crucial ingredient so that people know they will not get away with it," he said.

He added that in spite of increasing awareness of the issue, "what had been missing was some of the largest governments in the world throwing their weight against it".

 

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or