Turkey sacks defence official involved in China missile talks
A Turkish defence official involved in a controversial decision to procure a Chinese missile system instead of European and US alternatives has been removed from his post
Turkey has removed Murad Bayar, Defence Ministry undersecretary for the state-run defence industries, from his post with immediate effect, the official gazette showed on Thursday.
The ministry did not give a reason for the decision.
Bayar had been influential in Turkey’s negotiations with China over the procurement of a missile defence system.
Turkey’s Nato allies voiced concern when it said in September it had chosen China’s FD-2000 missile defence system over rival offers from the Franco-Italian Eurosam SAMP/T and US-listed Raytheon.
Ankara had said China offered the most competitive terms and would allow co-production in Turkey.