Google says it will identify all search results it has been asked to censor
Google is planning to identify search results it has censored following a ruling that allows European citizens the right to demand information on them be erased. The search engine is considering placing an alert at the bottom of each page where it has removed links following the "right to be forgotten" ruling last month.
The decision by Europe's highest court allows residents of Europe to ask for links to "inadequate, irrelevant or no longer relevant" material to be removed from search results, although it will remain available on the original webpage.
Google has had tens of thousands of requests from internet users to take down sensitive information pertaining to them since the controversial ruling by the European court of justice last month.
The search engine is also planning to include information about received "right to be forgotten" removals in its biannual transparency report, which also reveals the number of government requests worldwide to remove material from its search results.
Google said last week that it had received 41,000 individual requests to take down from its website sensitive material involving people in Europe since the May 13 ruling, including one case of a politician with a murky past, a convicted paedophile and a man who had attempted to murder his family and wanted to remove links about his crime.