NewsWorld

Norwegian who threatened royals turns up in jihadist video

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 03 July, 2014, 12:39am
UPDATED : Thursday, 03 July, 2014, 12:39am
 

A Norwegian citizen previously accused of making threats against the country's royal family has reportedly shown up in a jihadist video shot in Iraq.

Bastian Vasquez, 25, and of Chilean origin, allegedly appears in the video, said to have been produced by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), gloating over the fall of an Iraqi border post.

On the video, the man states that ISIL had taken the post and killed several Iraqi soldiers.

"We have decided to investigate Bastian Vasquez in relation to the published footage," Norway's police security service said.

In 2012, Vasquez was accused of making threats against the Norwegian royal family and former prime minister Jens Stoltenberg in another video. After he did not show up for his trial, Norway launched an international hunt for him, suspecting he could have gone to Syria.

Agence France-Presse

Share

 

Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive