• Mon
  • Sep 22, 2014
  • Updated: 9:22am
NewsWorld
MIDDLE EAST

Israel orders ground offensive in Gaza; heavy shelling on border

Netanyahu says target is to 'restore peace' as Palestinians say 27 have died since offensive started

PUBLISHED : Friday, 18 July, 2014, 4:13am
UPDATED : Saturday, 19 July, 2014, 3:47pm

Israel intensified its offensive in Gaza with artillery, tanks and gunboats yesterday and warned it could "significantly widen" an operation Palestinian officials said was killing ever greater numbers of civilians.

Palestinian health officials said 27 Palestinians, including a baby, two children and a 70-year-old woman, had been killed since Israel sent ground forces into the Gaza Strip on Thursday.

The Israeli military said it killed 17 Palestinian gunmen while another 13 surrendered and were taken for questioning after the infantry and tank assault began in the Islamist Hamas-dominated territory. One Israeli soldier was killed and several others wounded in the operations, in which about 150 targets, including 21 concealed rocket launchers and four tunnels, have been attacked, said the military.

The land advance followed 10 days of barrages against Gaza from air and sea, hundreds of rockets fired by Hamas into Israel and failed Egyptian attempts to secure a ceasefire.

Watch: Israel begins Gaza ground assault

Rocket salvoes, many of them intercepted by the Iron Dome anti-missile shield system, continued yesterday against southern Israel causing no casualties.

"We chose to start this operation after we exhausted other options and reached the conclusion that without it we could pay a much higher price," Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said before a special cabinet session in Tel Aviv.

"The main goal is to restore quiet. My instructions ... to the Israeli army, with the approval of the security cabinet, is to prepare for the possibility of a widening, a significant widening of the ground operation." He did not say what form a broadened offensive might take.

Israel says its forces have focused so far on seeking out tunnels Palestinian militants might use for cross-border raids.

One such infiltration was narrowly thwarted on Thursday, with the army saying it had repelled 13 Hamas gunmen after they emerged from a tunnel close to an Israeli farming community.

To support regular forces, Israel said it was calling up 18,000 military reservists, adding to 30,000 already mobilised.

Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri responded with defiance to the Israeli escalation. He said: "Netanyahu is killing our children and will pay the price. The ground invasion doesn't frighten us and the occupation army will sink in Gaza's mud." Hamas wants Israel and Egypt, whose military-backed government is at odds with the Palestinian Islamists, to lift border restrictions that have deepened Gaza's economic hardship and unemployment.

Pope Francis phoned Israeli President Shimon Peres and West Bank-based Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas yesterday to express his "very grave concerns" over the conflict in Gaza, the Vatican said.

"A small group of fanatics are the cause of suffering in Gaza. Israel is doing everything to lower the flames and minimise civilian casualties," Peres replied.

Abbas, who held a prayer for peace with Peres at the Vatican last month, told the pontiff he was "exerting all required effort, together with Egypt and all other parties, to halt the bloodshed and relieve our people's suffering".

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

This article is now closed to comments

jiawang@adb.org
Because of stupid leaders, Palestinians will die like flies.
Haven't they learned anything in all these decades of fighting Israel?
 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or