Sex abuse charges filed against Prince Philip’s former aide | South China Morning Post
  • Sat
  • Jan 31, 2015
  • Updated: 7:36am
NewsWorld
BRITAIN

Sex abuse charges filed against Prince Philip’s former aide

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 31 July, 2014, 9:18pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 31 July, 2014, 9:18pm

The former personal assistant of Britain's Prince Philip has been charged with sexually abusing a girl while he was working for the royal family in the 1970s, prosecutors said.

Benjamin Herman, 79, was equerry to the 93-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth from 1971 to 1974. He will appear in court on Monday.

"He is charged with three counts of indecent assault between 1972 and 1974 on a girl aged around 12," a spokesman for the Crown Prosecution Service said.

Herman role was to attend to Philip's engagements and personal matters, and he later became the head of the household of Philip's daughter Princess Anne.

The Daily Mirror newspaper reported that police had examined Philip's official diaries from the time and had taken statements from former palace staff.

A police spokesman would not comment on whether former palace staff had been interviewed, and a spokesman for Buckingham Palace declined to comment.

The Mirror reported that the alleged victim had come forward following the 2012 revelation that the late BBC presenter Jimmy Savile was a prolific sexual predator, which sparked a wave of investigations into celebrities.

Last month, Prime Minister David Cameron vowed to leave "no stone unturned" in investigating accusations, including claims of a paedophile ring involving senior politicians in the 1970s and 1980s.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or