• Thu
  • Oct 16, 2014
  • Updated: 10:53am
NewsWorld
SYRIA

US fears for life of woman aid worker held by Islamic State in Syria

US officials say humanitarian aid worker, 26, is being held in Syria; also confirm death of American who joined Islamist militants

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 27 August, 2014, 10:14am
UPDATED : Thursday, 28 August, 2014, 3:13am
 

The Islamic State militant group is holding hostage a young American woman who was doing humanitarian aid work in Syria, a family representative said. The 26-year-old woman is the third American known to have been kidnapped by the radical group.

The Islamic State group recently threatened to kill American hostages to avenge the crushing airstrikes in Iraq against militants advancing on Mount Sinjar and the Kurdish capital of Arbil.

The woman was captured last year while working with three humanitarian groups in Syria. A representative for the family and US officials asked that the woman not be identified out of fear for her safety. All spoke on Tuesday on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to discuss the issue publicly.

More than a week ago, American freelance journalist James Foley was beheaded by the Islamic State group, which kidnapped him in November 2012. Foley, 40, had worked in a number of conflict zones across the Middle East, including Iraq, Libya and Syria. He was in northern Syria on assignment for Agence France-Press and the Boston-based news organisation GlobalPost when the car he was riding in was stopped by four militants in a contested battle zone that both Sunni rebel fighters and government forces were trying to control.

The Islamic State video of Foley’s beheading also showed another of the missing American journalists, Steven Sotloff, and warned he would be killed next if US airstrikes continued. US officials believe the video was made days before its release and have grown increasingly worried about Sotloff’s fate.

Other American hostages have been held by other militant groups, including Peter Curtis, who was recently released by the al-Nusra Front, a rival Sunni extremist group. Another US freelance journalist, Austin Tice, disappeared in Syria in August 2012 and is believed to be held by the Syrian government. Tice was working for The Washington Post, McClatchy Newspapers and other media outlets when he was kidnapped.

There were reports on Tuesday that another American, Douglas McArthur McCain, was killed in Syria. The circumstances of his death were unclear.

A relative, Kenneth McCain, said the US State Department had called his family to inform them that Douglas McCain had been killed in Syria.

“We do not know if he was fighting anyone,” said Kenneth McCain, who hung up before answering how he is related to Douglas.

Jen Psaki, State Department spokeswoman, said US officials are in contact with the family in providing consular assistance. “As you know there is typically a process that has to be gone through before any confirmation can be made and certainly, out of respect for the family, we won’t be adding any more comment at this time,” she said.

The Islamic State militant group is seeking to create a caliphate across parts of Syria and Iraq. The militant group is so ruthless in its attacks against all people they consider heretics or infidels that it has been disowned by al-Qaeda’s leaders.

President Barack Obama said in a speech in North Carolina on Tuesday that “America does not forget” and vowed justice for Foley’s murder.

In its annual report last November, the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists estimated at least 30 journalists have been kidnapped or have disappeared in Syria – held and threatened with death by extremists or taken captive by gangs seeking ransom. The CPJ described the widespread seizure of journalists as unprecedented and largely unreported by news organisations in the hope that keeping the kidnappings out of public view may help to negotiate the captives’ release.

The group reported 52 journalists have been killed since Syria’s civil war began in early 2011 and documented at least 24 other journalists who disappeared earlier this year but are now safe.

Separately, the Paris-based Reporters Without Borders last year cited higher figures, saying at least 60 “news providers” are being detained and more than 110 have been killed.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or