image

Fame and celebrity

Film producer Harvey Weinstein fired from Weinstein Co after explicit new sex harassment allegation

‘YOU try telling that story 10yrs ago. Only possible now because of women with bigger names far braver than me’

PUBLISHED : Monday, 09 October, 2017, 8:07am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 11 October, 2017, 12:38pm

Film producer Harvey Weinstein has been fired from The Weinstein Company, effective immediately, following new information revealed regarding his conduct, the company’s board of directors announced Sunday.

Weinstein had previously voluntarily taken a leave of absence following decades of sexual harassment allegations detailed Thursday in a New York Times expose. The board on Friday endorsed that decision. But it went further Sunday, removing Weinstein from the company he cofounded.

In a statement, the board cited “new information” about Weinstein’s conduct that has emerged in the past few days. An attorney for Weinstein didn’t immediately comment Sunday.

Super-producer Harvey Weinstein apologises after sexual harassment claims

A spokesperson for The Weinstein Co declined to provide details on Weinstein’s firing.

The New York Times article chronicled allegations against Weinstein from film star Ashley Judd and former employees at both The Weinstein Co and Weinstein’s former company, Miramax, over the course of several decades. The report made an enormous impact felt throughout the movie industry and elsewhere.

But on Friday, The Huffington Post published a graphic account from local TV reporter Lauren Sivan. She told reporter Yashar Ali that a decade ago Weinstein cornered her in a restaurant hallway, and after she rejected his attempts to kiss her, he exposed himself to her before proceeding to masturbate without her consent.

‘That was the culture then’: Weinstein’s unusual apology after harassment claims, in full

“Yeah, this happened,” tweeted Sivan, linking to the story. “Luckily I didn’t need a job or favour from him [plus] didn’t have to be polite. Others did. Keep that in mind.”

She later tweeted “YOU try telling that story 10yrs ago. Only possible now because of women with bigger names far braver than me”.

Harvey Weinstein on Thursday issued a lengthy statement that acknowledged causing “a lot of pain.” He also asked for “a second chance.” But Weinstein and his lawyers have criticised the New York Times’ report in statements and interviews.

“We are confident in the accuracy of our reporting,” said a New York Times spokesperson in a statement. “Mr Weinstein was aware and able to respond to specific allegations in our story before publication. In fact, we published his response in full.”

Additional reporting by Tribune News Service