Colombia says Farc releases 4 Chinese oil workers

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 22 November, 2012, 9:18pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 22 November, 2012, 9:18pm
 

Colombian police say the country’s main leftist rebel group has freed four Chinese oil workers it kidnapped more than a year ago.

Caqueta state police chief Colonel Carlos Vargas told reporters the four men were released to the International Committee of Red Cross around midnight on Wednesday in a rural area of the southern town of San Vicente del Caguan.

The release comes three days after peace talks began in Cuba between the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or Farc, and Colombia’s government.

The Farc announced in February that it was halting all kidnapping.

The four men work for the British company Emerald Energy, part of the China-based Sinochem Group.

They were seized June 8, last year in the same area where they were released.

Share

 

Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

Related topics

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive