-
Advertisement
Lamma ferry crash
Hong Kong

Relatives of Lamma boat victims slam government over '180 degree' turn

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Lamma IV. Photo: Nora Tam
Thomas ChanandNg Kang-chung

Relatives of the Lamma ferry disaster victims have criticised the government for failing to hold anyone responsible for the tragedy a year ago today, despite a year-long investigation.

In an open letter released yesterday, they said the government had initially been eager to offer help, but "today, [its] attitude has changed 180 degrees".

"On the causes of the incident and its responsibility, it only keeps silent or resorts to using the same official scripts that are full of clichés," the relatives wrote in the letter, addressed to Marine Department director Francis Liu Hon-por, who reaches retirement age next year.

Advertisement

The relatives said they would not easily let Liu escape responsibility.

The collision off Lamma Island on October 1 last year claimed 39 lives. The government ordered a commission of inquiry, which released a report in April sternly criticising the department. An internal departmental probe is still in progress.

Advertisement

Ryan Tsui Chi-shing, who lost his elder brother and niece, said: "The government tried to cool down the matter by keeping its mouth shut. Government officials had helped victims' families, but turned cold after a commission of inquiry condemned the Marine Department."

Liu has been a major target of attacks by the victims' relatives, who are unhappy at the way he and the department handled the aftermath of the incident.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x