-
Advertisement

New rules for police on illegal racers

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
SCMP Reporter

New guidelines have been issued to all traffic officers on operations to stop illegal road racing, encouraging an 'evidence collection' approach rather than the use of roadblocks, a senior officer who has seen the guidelines said.

The move to limit roadblocks followed a public outcry over last week's 'human roadblock' incident, in which civilian vehicles were used, he said. But police intended to keep the roadblock strategy as an option.

A police order was issued late last week to traffic officers that favoured 'evidence collection approaches', the officer said. 'This implies that police officers will not use civilian vehicles as roadblocks on highways any more.'

Advertisement

The new guidelines emerged after the 'human roadblock' incident on July 13 in which drivers of three taxis, a truck and a car were ordered by officers to form their vehicles into a roadblock to stop a group of cars racing on Kwun Tong Bypass.

Six of the 14 vehicles racing at speeds of up to 120km/h smashed into the roadblock. Six people were injured and five arrested.

Advertisement

Commissioner of Police Tang King-shing made a public apology after the incident and promised to review procedures to stop car races.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x