The Preparatory Committee says its consultations on the future Selection Committee were not a phoney exercise.
The sub-group responsible for the Selection Committee yesterday issued a report on last month's territory-wide consultation exercise, describing it as 'democratic, open and successful'.
'Although a few people slandered the Preparatory Committee, saying that it carried out a phoney consultation, and there were sit-ins, protests, hunger strikes and the like, in general the response was positive,' the report said.
It said the committee withdrew an invitation to the Professional Teachers' Union to the consultation because it 'lacked sincerity in taking part'.
The union rejected the consensus that the Selection Committee should choose the future chief executive and the provisional legislature.
But the union chairman, Democratic Party legislator Cheung Man-kwong, said: 'We are sincere in speaking our minds. Sincerity doesn't mean I have to agree with your position.' The report added that 477 people from 366 groups had taken part in the two-day debate. Another 626 participants turned up in a personal capacity.
Up to May 18, the committee's secretariat and its Hong Kong office had received 206 written submissions on the formation of the selection body from 116 groups and 90 individuals.
The report said the 'large-scale' consultations had demonstrated the Preparatory Committee's principle of 'facing and relying on Hong Kong people', and that the committee would study the different views.