A cleaner had to have part of her index finger amputated after suffering an injury during a game of mahjong.
Cheuk Choi-wan, 58, was left with the bone in her finger exposed when it was crushed between the seat and frame of her chair when she changed position.
She has issued a writ claiming more than $28,000 damages from the Hang Fook Lau Seafood restaurant in Queen's Road West.
Ms Cheuk says she was in shock and suffered extreme pain after losing her balance when the seat suddenly came away from the metal frame.
She later needed two amputation operations and claims she has suffered a loss of enjoyment in playing games.
Her work as a cleaner has also been more difficult to perform, says the writ.
Ms Cheuk alleged the restaurant neglected to keep the chair in a safe condition.