1. It has been confirmed that the mysterious giant heads of Easter Island were..... there by dangerous aliens. The island has ...... puzzled visitors with the great statues on their platforms staring out ... sea, others lying on their side, and many more at various ..... of manufacture in a great quarry. How could the few islanders have created such wonders? There had to be a secret.
2. The story has now been pieced ..... A group of strange creatures arrived on the island. It was a beautiful, rich island with its own species of giant palm trees that could supply .... everything one could want, and great numbers of birds. The creatures used the trees to ..... large boats that could sail far out into the ocean. From them they could catch large ..... and dolphins. With such a good home, the number of creatures began to increase. They divided into different villages, and they began to compete .... show who was the greatest. They built giant heads of their ancestors, dragged them on wooden rails to their platforms and erected them. Every village ..... wanted bigger and better statues.
3. Somehow, they did notice that all their houses, boats, fires, construction work and tools ..... wood and that there were fewer and fewer trees ...... The creatures must have been very short-sighted. Suddenly, the forest had gone. The giant palms were ........ The birds had almost all been killed. The shellfish around the island had been eaten. One by one, the great boats became old and rotten and fell ...... They could not be replaced, so the riches of the sea could no ....... be harvested. No more heads could be erected. Indeed, angry people pushed some over. The ancestors had not brought blessings.
4. A terrible time of war and starvation followed. In the village rubbish dumps, dolphin bones disappeared. The creatures started eating one another; they ..... cannibal. Eventually, just a few, short, badly-fed individuals lived on the island surrounded by the great heads from their prosperous past.
5. This is a true story. The sad thing is those stupid creatures that destroyed their own environment were us.
A. Choose the correct word to fill the blanks.
B. What do you think is the general message of this passage?
C. Where is Easter Island?
A. 1. put; 2. long; 3. to; 4. stages; 5. together; 6. almost; 7. build; 8. fish; 9. to; 10. chief; 11. used; 12. left; 13. extinct; 14. apart; 15. longer; 16. turned
B. Protect the environment.
C. Out in the South Seas/Pacific Ocean