Residents walk away after toxic fumes from a chemical warehouse fire in Guangzhou made at least 49 people ill on Wednesday night. About 6,000 students from a nearby college were also evacuated. Authorities said there were no fatalities and the air quality was being monitored. People were allowed to return last night.
Local media said the fire erupted about 7pm on Wednesday and may have been preceded by an explosion. According to local reports, firefighters said the warehouse stored sulphuric acid and sodium hydrosulfite, which could generate toxic sulfur dioxide if ignited.