Disgruntled couples, including a TVB journalist and his fiancee, confronted a catering company in court yesterday for disrupting their wedding plans after one of its restaurants faced closure.
Eight couples filed against Maxims Caterers at the Small Claims Tribunal in March, seeking a total of $244,396 after their bookings at the Lippo Chiu Chow restaurant in Admiralty were cancelled.
Maxims said it had settled with two of the claimants last month.
TVB journalist Fong Dong-sing stated in his writ that he paid a $5,400 deposit last June to reserve 20 tables at Lippo for his wedding banquet on November 26 this year. In March he was told by the restaurant manager that Lippo had failed to extend its tenancy and would have to close in October.
Mr Fong blamed the restaurant for failing to notify him of the risk of cancellation, which forced him and his bride-to-be to change their wedding date and spend time looking for a new venue, when he made his booking. They demanded $47,138 in compensation, citing the difference in charges, transportation costs and their suffering.
A spokeswoman said Maxims had informed its clients in May that it had been able to extend its tenancy in Admiralty by two months to late December this year, and gave them the option of keeping their bookings, receiving a refund double the value of their deposits or switching their banquets to another restaurant in the group.
The case was adjourned to August 1 pending negotiation between the parties.