Match the following words with their meanings on the right.
a. pioneer; leader in a movement or field
b. a belief that pleasure should be the main aim in life
c. a strong liking for something
d. sudden appearance of an overwhelming number of things (in this case, lawsuits)
e. imposing one's ideas on someone against their will
f. taunts; sarcastic remarks
Fill in the blanks with the words you have learned.
1. Your ________ lifestyle of binge drinking and smoking is bad for your health.
2. She has a _________ for Thai food, which is very spicy.
3. I have a different way of thinking, so stop ________ your beliefs on me!
4. Kobe Bryant scored an _______ of three-pointers in the Lakers' victory.
5. Scientists are in the ________ of human progress.
6. Her suggestion that the party should be cancelled ran into a chorus of ________ from her friends.
Phrases used for emphasis
Some phrases are used to enhance the effect of a sentence.
Below is an example from the passage.
... the health legislation and blanket bans are none other than heavy-handed measures to dictate what they should do.
Fill in the blanks with the following phrases which are used for emphasis.
anything but, nothing more than, all the more
1. The bus tragedy is _______ depressing as the victims are all children.
2. She is ________ a poor woman. She has a lot of property and investments.
3. It is ________ a minor illness, so there's no need to panic.
Word Power: 1. c 2. d 3. a 4. f 5. b 6. e; Fill in the blanks: 1. hedonistic 2. penchant 3. foisting 4. avalanche 5. vanguard 6. jeers; Grammar focus: 1. all the more 2. anything but 3. nothing more than