Match the words with their meanings
a. not ceasing, constant, intense
c. the approach or arrival of something
d. imperfection, cracks or faults
e. animals or persons that search through waste for items that can be used
f. announced the approach of something
Fill in the blanks with the words you have learned.
7. The _______________________ of computers brought about a revolutionary change in the communication between people.
8. The rubbish heap is filled with _____________________ who are intent on picking something valuable to sell.
9. But for a few _______________________ on its base, this porcelain vase would be perfect.
10. The discovery of DNA _______________________ amazing breakthroughs in medial researches.
11. The teacher discarded the _______________________ teaching method of chalk and board and go hi-tech in the classroom.
12. The _______________________ economic and technological growth on the mainland has given rise to a host of environmental problems.
The use of present participle phrases
We use present participle phrases when the verb has an active meaning. Below is an example from the passage.
Containing poisonous heavy metals like lead, cadmium and mercury, many old TV sets discarded by wealthy cities end up in the scrap yards in Third World countries swarming with child scavengers. (The verb 'contain' has an active meaning here because it is the old TV sets that contain poisonous heavy metals like lead, cadmium and mercury.)
Combine the following sentences as shown in the example.
E.g The children is observing how their teacher conducts the experiment. The children are amazed.
Answer: Observing how their teacher conducts the experiment, the children are amazed.
13. Tom is listening to slow and soothing songs. Tom falls asleep.
14. You have promised to help her. You should keep your word.
15. The film revolves around the rivalry between the warlords. The film provides a scathing look at the cruelty of wars.
Think about it
1. Do you like watching television? Do you have digital TV at home now? How will the arrival of digital TV affect your TV-viewing experience?
2. Do you think the advent of digital broadcasting will revolutionise the broadcasting industry?
3. Do you think the dumping of old TV sets in the wake of the digital switch will lead to environmental problems?
1. f 2. b 3. c 4. d 5. a 6. e 7. advent 8. scavengers 9. flaws 10. heralded 11. conventional 12. relentless 13. Listening to slow and soothing songs, Tom falls asleep. 14. Having promised to help her, you should keep your word. 15. Revolving around the rivalry between the warlords, the film provides a scathing look at the cruelty of wars.Topics: Matter Chemistry Cadmium Linguistics Auxiliary Verb