Match the following words with their meanings on the right.
b. at risk; exposed
c. native; home-grown
d. trips to watch and photograph wildlife
e. greatest; maximum
Fill in the blanks with the words you have learned.
6. There are many ________________ beaches in Thailand which are very popular with tourists.
7. Don't worry, I will do my ________________ to pass the exam.
8. The authorities are doing their best to save the ________________ people's culture.
9. Visitors to Africa often go on ________________ to see wild animals.
10. Children are ________________ to illnesses like the flu. Parents have to pay particular attention to their health.
Past participle phrases
Past participle phrases are used to describe why something happens. Below is an example from the passage.
Eg. Dotted with glitzy skyscrapers and swanky hotels, Hong Kong's famous skyline is often featured in overseas travel brochures.
Combine the following sentences as shown in the example.
Eg. The children were amazed by the beautiful pictures. They smiled with great pleasure.
Answer: Amazed by the beautiful pictures, the children smiled with great pleasure.
11. The workers were dissatisfied with their pay.
The workers took to the company headquarters to demand a pay rise.
12. The girl was eager to learn Putonghua.
The girl signed up for a language course yesterday.
13. She was shocked by the news. She fainted on the spot.
1. Have you joined any eco-tours? What do you think about them?
2. Are you a responsible eco-traveller? Why?
3. What can the government do to promote sustainable eco-tourism?
Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department http://www.afcd.gov.hk/ 
Popular eco-trails can be found at http://hktraveler.com/ 
More information about eco-tourism can be found at Hong Kong Ecotourism Society
1. c, 2. d, 3. a, 4. b, 5. e, 6. pristine, 7. utmost, 8. indigenous, 9. safaris, 10. vulnerable, 11. Dissatisfied with their pay, the workers took to the company headquarters to demand a pay rise. 12. Eager to learn Putonghua, the girl signed up for a language course yesterday. 13. Shocked by the news, she fainted on the spot.