The ability to manage emotions and handle adversity is vital for students to learn successfully, an educator said this week.
Lee Man Yuk-ching, assistant professor in educational psychology at the Hong Kong Institute of Education, told a seminar attended by 1,000 parents and teachers that there should be more of a focus on the nurturing of emotional intelligence and enhancing the ability to cope with adverse situations.
'While IQ is largely innate, emotional and adversity quotients can be nurtured through proper training.'
Dr Lee said overseas research had shown that IQ accounted for only 20 per cent of a person's success, while the remaining 80 per cent was decided by emotional and adversity quotients, and other factors.
Chin Kin-wing, Chinese history teacher at Chan Shu Kui Memorial School, said a sheltered upbringing precluded many students from developing skills in handling emotional situations.
'Many students in Hong Kong a have high IQ,' he said. 'But they buckle easily when faced with emotional difficulties. Local doting parents' indulgent attitudes towards their offspring also prevents students from learning problem-solving skills through handling adversity.'
Au Yuet-ching, principal of Yan Chai Hospital Wong Wha San Secondary School, said many students could not control their emotions.
'The poor role models set by many unruly pop stars hardly helps the situation. They tend to think that throwing tantrums is an acceptable way to vent their frustrations.'
Ms Au said parents also had a role to play in the nurturing of students' emotional and adversity quotients. 'Instead of adopting a sententious tone when talking to children, parents should give them more encouragement and positive responses.'