Hong Kong party-goers need little excuse to don their finery. But Christmas brings out a new level of glamour. Just because it is cold outside doesn't mean we have to be all covered-up: a flash of back is sexy, especially with the return of the floor-length gowns.
We are loving off-the-shoulder slinky numbers in metallics or something with a 1970s twist, since retro styles have pervaded winter runways.
Although the LBD is simple and chic, earthy rusts, glistening gold and champagne tones will stand out in a sea of blacks and greys. Prints, leather, broderie anglaise and lace can give your evening outfit added texture and complexity. Too many people opt for satin, which can often look cheap.
There are many ways for you to shimmy your way through this party season. Here are some of our favourites.
Six of the best
1. Look for Jonathan Saunders' beautiful retro with a twist black dress with blue print (HK$10,150). Available from Harvey Nichols, Pacific Place, Admiralty, tel: 2526 7714; The Landmark, Central, tel: 3695 3388
2. Diane Von Furstenberg's full-length red sequin gown (HK$14,000) is a show-stopper. Available at Diane Von Furstenberg, Pacific Place, Admiralty, tel: 2918 9238
3. Valentino can always be relied on for some shimmering sophistication. We adore this subtle combination of taupe and black (HK$106,500). Valentino, Landmark Atrium, The Landmark, Central, tel: 2523 8035
4. This Pucci black velvet and lace dress with white collar detail (HK$32,650) is a celebrity favourite. Pucci, Pacific Place, Admiralty, tel: 2918 4698
5. It might be the least revealing of our dresses, but its brilliant draping and rich burgundy colour make this Haider Ackermann silk wrap-around number (HK$24,999) the most avant-garde pick of our cocktail selection. Available from Lane Crawford, IFC Mall, Central, tel: 2118 2288
6. Party princesses will love this Armani strapless dress with drape at the side in an ochre silk/satin mix (HK$35,500). Armani, Chater House, Central, tel: 2532 7777