Welcome to The Daily Matter, the South China Morning Post's brand-spanking-new science blog.
If you've never come across us before, here's a little taste of what we've been up to:
- A tale of two cities: rooftop gardening in Hong Kong and Beijing 
- The first footage of the giant squid in its natural habitat 
- "You are here." I F** Love Science and Carl Sagan give us a little perspective for Monday morning .
- Why did some children die but others live during the Chinese tainted milk scandal? We look at the role of gut bacteria in human health .
- It's a big year for marine conservation with hammerhead sharks and manta rays protected by CITES. Watch videos of the species and read a primer on the international treaty that looks to prevent international trade of plants and animals from destroying their populations in the wild .
- Hello Dodo: bringing back species from extinction .
In the next few weeks:
- We will hear from the dean of the Harvard School of Public Health about the pressing health issues of our time.
- And from a Buddhist monk on religion, science and stress.
And in case you missed anything, see all of The Daily Matter's posts in one handy location .