Vice-premier in Washington for trade talks
Vice-Premier Wang Qishan, also a member of the Communist Party's Politburo Standing Committee, visits Washington for meetings of the China-US Joint Commission on Commerce and Trade tomorrow and Wednesday. Wang is expected to discuss with his American hosts a wide range of trade and financial issues, including the bilateral trade imbalance and the yuan.
Antiquities experts decide grading of west wing
A meeting of the Antiquities Advisory Board finalises its grading of the west wing of the former central government offices. Public pressure for its preservation has forced the government to drop a redevelopment plan that would have seen the building demolished and replaced by a high-rise. During the four years the board has been chaired by Bernard Chan, who steps down after today's meeting, it has finished grading 1,211 of 1,444 sites across the city. This leaves 187 sites to complete, including private homes and 58 military structures controlled by the People's Liberation Army.
Indian funeral for nurse who died after hoax call
The funeral of the Indian-born nurse who was found hanged after taking a hoax call to the hospital treating Prince William's wife takes place near Mangalore in Shirva, the southern Indian hometown of her husband, Benedict Barboza. A huge turnout by residents to pay their final respects is expected before the saying of a mass followed by the burial ceremony.
Zero-carbon building goes public
Media representatives tour the city's first zero-carbon building, in Sheung Yuet Road, Kowloon Bay. About 70 per cent of the energy used by the building, which opens to the public on Saturday, comes from solar panels, and the remaining 30 per cent from biodiesel, a fuel created by recycling cooking oil from restaurants. The building is expected to produce an annual energy surplus of 99 megawatt- hours, enough to power 132 four-person households for a year.
Divided Tunisia marks two years since uprising
Tunisia marks the second anniversary of the self-immolation of street vendor Mohamed Bouazizi in a protest that sparked the jasmine revolutions that swept Tunisia and then the Middle East. In Sidi Bouzid - the central town where Bouazizi set himself on fire in an act of desperation, and where the first clashes of the Tunisian uprising took place several hours later - celebrations are planned. But reflecting the deep political divisions in the country, part of the celebrations are now planned as an anti-government rally. Opposition activists are angry at the ruling Islamist party Ennahda's failure to kick-start an economic recovery and improve living conditions.