Terrified women and children hid in forests and security forces patrolled tense villages in western Myanmar yesterday, residents said, after sectarian clashes which left five Muslims dead.
President Thein Sein was expected to visit the violence-racked area as part of his first official visit to Rakhine state since a wave of religious bloodshed erupted there last year.
Sectarian bloodshed has overshadowed internationally praised political reforms and piled pressure on the ex-junta general, who took power in 2011.
The United States said it was "deeply concerned" about the latest unrest and urged authorities to respond "decisively", in a statement issued by its embassy in Yangon.
Around 800 Buddhist rioters torched homes and attacked local Muslims in a village in the area of Thandwe on Tuesday, according to the authorities.
"The death toll rose to five - four men and a woman," a Rakhine police official said.
A 94-year-old Muslim woman, who suffered stab wounds, was among the dead.
A local Muslim official said police had fired warning shots but could not control the mob.
"We are disappointed that we have a government that is unable to provide security for us," the official, Myint Aung, said. "We are living in fear. Many people, including women and children, are hiding in the forest nearby."
The region is home to the popular tourist destination of Ngapali beach.
Thein Sein held meetings with members of Buddhist and Rohingya Muslim communities during his two-day tour. He spent Tuesday visiting a different area of Rakhine populated mainly by stateless Rohingya Muslims.
In a message to a multi-faith conference, which was carried in state media yesterday, Thein Sein lamented "instigations fuelling minor crimes into conflicts between the two communities and two religions".