Two primary school children died in Guangxi after being severely beaten by a school employee, authorities confirmed on Thursday.
The incident took place in the dormitory of a private school in Yulin on Wednesday, Xinhua said. The male suspect, who has been arrested, allegedly hit the two primary school pupils and critically injured them at 5am. The two boys died after being rushed to hospital.
China News Service  reported the arrested man, surnamed Liu, was the husband of the school’s deputy principal. Police are still investigating the case, it said. Further details are not yet available.
Xinhua reported the boys were in the 5th grade which normally caters for children who are aged 10 to 12 years.
The incident is the latest to take place in a school, raising the question of child safety in China's education system. In September last year, three children were killed  and more than a dozen injured in an axe attack at a primary school in Pingnan county in Guangxi autonomous region. Then in December, 23 pupils were injured  in a knife attack at Chenpeng village primary school, in Guangshan county.
Separately, a knife-wielding man  on Wednesday killed two female relatives before he slashed 12 passers-by, six of them children, in Shanghai.