A masked gunman who shot and wounded three pedestrians in a busy district of a county in Heilongjiang on Monday was still at large this afternoon.
The incident happened at about 11.50am on Monday when a man riding a motorbike shot the passersby – two men and woman – with a "pistol-like weapon" on the busiest commercial street in Kedong county, in Qiqihar city, according to China News Service.
Police were still looking for the suspect, according to the online report of People’s Daily.
The injured victims, either vendors or shop owners, had no time to respond when the shots were fired, police said.
A bullet hole was found in a rear window of a vehicle parked near the scene of the shooting.
This afternoon an official with Kedong county’s public security bureau said there had been little progress in apprehending the shooter.
“We could not offer further details and know little about the suspect,” he said.
He refused to comment on whether police saw the incident as a possible a terrorist attack.
Kedong county has a population of about 280,000. It is in northeastern Heilongjiang and close to Heihe city on the Russian border.