Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying said on Saturday he would make a decision on the future of the contentious national education course during the next meeting of a government committee led by executive councillor Anna Wu Hung-yuk.
Leung told local radio he would announce his decision the same day the Committee on Implementation of Moral and National Education reaches a conclusion – rather than wait for a written report which could take months.
Many people are strongly opposed to the introduction of national education in Hong Kong, which they argue has a pro-Beijing bias.
Discussing other issues, Leung dismissed claims the government’s Northeastern New Territories Development Plan was an attempt to “sell Hong Kong land to mainlanders”. He said such allegations were nonsense because the plan had been first introduced in 2008.
Leung also rejected arguments by the Real Estate Developers Association’s that the plan might violate the Basic Law.