As Manila's Mayor Joseph Estrada embarks upon a delicate mission to heal the rift between Hong Kong and the Philippines over the tragic 2010 bus hostage incident, his son Juan Emilio 'Jake' Ejercito, appeared to be using the diplomatic trip to have a whale of a time in the city.
Yesterday, as he travelled with his father in a Rolls-Royce, the 24-year-old took the opportunity to post a 'selfie' on Instagram, that showed his somewhat more serious father in the background.
He later took the time to post on his Twitter account @unoemilio "Anyone in HK right now? Hit me up!"
Although his light-hearted posts may stir feelings that he is not taking the trip seriously, Jake has had a hand in his father's political dealings before.
He actively campaigned for Estrada in his mayoral bid last year, writing on his blog: "I grew up spending a number of summers campaigning for my dad and other relatives and this one was the toughest. But most importantly, this campaign gave me more chances to bond with the fathership who was too busy to always be there when I was a kid."
Jake is is one of Estrada's nine children. It was the scandal over a mansion that Estrada was building for former actress Laarni Enriquez and their kids Jake, Jerika and Jacob which triggered his ouster from the presidency in 2001.
Of that time, Jake wrote on his blog that: “Everything but the kitchen sink has been thrown at my dad to the point it’s surprising they didn’t blame him for Michael Jackson’s death. But his election as the new mayor of Manila says a lot about what people think about him and about such accusations.”
Estrada and a delegation of high-ranking officials are today expected to meet with Hong Kong government officials in an effort to find a solution to the bus hostage crisis that left seven tourists from Hong Kong and their guide dead, and seven more injured.
Families affected by the events of August 23, 2010, when they were gunned down by a sacked policeman who laid siege to their tour bus, have repeatedly made four demands: an apology, compensation, punishment of the officials responsible and improved tourist safety.
Before taking off from Manila, Estrada - who was accompanied by city councillor Bernardito Ang - told a Philippine news station that he would offer an apology for the "unfortunate incident" and help save the jobs of 160,000 Filipinos in the city.