A 15-year-old schoolboy who pleaded guilty to trespassing at the People's Liberation Army barracks in Admiralty has been banned from leaving his family home at night for a year.
Magistrate Symon Wong Yu-wing yesterday handed down a 12-month care-and-protection order to the boy, who cannot be named because of his age.
Eastern Court heard that the schoolboy entered the barracks on Boxing Day last year as part of a protest against the handing over of a prime section of harbourfront land to the PLA so that a military berth could be built.
"Trespassing on military barracks is a very serious crime," Wong said. The court heard that the schoolboy had promised to focus on schoolwork and to "stop hanging out with friends who are a bad influence".
Wong said the teenager had to comply with instructions from a social welfare worker and that he would be placed under a curfew which would require him to stay home from 8pm to 6am every night for 12 months.
The 15-year-old and three others protested less than a metre inside the PLA barracks on December 26 last year.
Dickson Cheung Hon-yin and Tse Wing-man both pleaded guilty to trespassing and were fined HK$2,000 last week.
Another activist, Billy Chiu Hin-chung, who chanted slogans and waved a colonial-era Hong Kong flag after entering the military site, pleaded not guilty. He was given a two-week sentence, suspended for 12 months.
The trio, whom the boy knew socially, the court heard, belong to a group called Hongkongers Come First.