Saudi Arabia’s official news agency says seven Saudi men convicted of theft, looting and armed robbery have been beheaded, a week after their families appealed to the king for clemency.
Human Rights Watch had called for the sentences to be canceled because the men were juveniles when they were arrested.
One of the men said earlier this month that he was only 15 when he was arrested as part of a ring that stole jewelry in 2004 and 2005. Nasser al-Qahtani said he was tortured to confess and had no access to lawyers.
The agency says Wednesday’s executions took place in Abha, a city in the southern region of Asir.
The original sentences called for death by firing squad and crucifixion.Topics: Saudi Arabia