A South African judge ruled yesterday that the murder trial of Paralympic track star Oscar Pistorius could be televised.
It will give millions around the world direct access to one of the most sensational celebrity trials since O.J. Simpson's.
Pistorius, 27, has admitted to shooting his girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp, at his Pretoria home on Valentine's Day last year, but says it was a tragic accident in which he mistook Steenkamp for an intruder. The trial is due to start on Monday.
In a televised ruling in a Pretoria high court, Judge Dustan Mlambo said it was vital that impoverished South Africans who feel ill-treated by the justice system be given a first-hand look at the trial.
"The justice system is still perceived as treating the rich and famous with kid gloves whilst being harsh on the poor and the vulnerable," he said.
"Enabling a larger South African society to be able to follow first-hand criminal proceedings which involve a celebrity, so to speak, will go a long way into dispelling these negative and unfounded perceptions."
Mlambo attached several conditions, including provisos that no recording be allowed during breaks and that no confidential communication between parties involved in the trial be recorded.
He also said the cameras could not take "extreme close-ups" nor record witnesses who did not give their consent.
Mlambo said the presiding judge had the discretion to order that broadcasting be stopped if "it becomes apparent that the presence of cameras ... is impeding a particular witness' right to privacy, dignity or the accused's right to a fair trial".
Pistorius' legal team opposed televising the trial on the grounds it would be intrusive. But media groups argued for it to be broadcast under freedom of information principles enshrined in the post-apartheid constitution.