• Wed
  • Sep 17, 2014
  • Updated: 12:04pm
PropertyHong Kong & China

Rents near border on par with Taikoo Shing as mainland parents move in

Cost of renting subdivided flats in Sheung Shui hits level of blue-chip homes in Taikoo Shing

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 30 October, 2013, 5:06am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 30 October, 2013, 5:06am

Demand from mainland parents for accommodation close to kindergartens and primary schools near the border has driven rents for subdivided flats in North District to levels on a par with those in blue-chip housing estates in Taikoo Shing.

Midland Realty says an estimated 60,000 children born in Hong Kong to mainland parents will reach kindergarten or primary-school age over the next two years.

Many of the parents of those children are now seeking accommodation close to schools in the northern New Territories. They want to live in the area after education authorities and 60 kindergarten principals in Tai Po and North District said earlier this month that Hong Kong parents who lived in the area would receive preference in admission but that surplus places would be allocated to families living closest to the pre-schools.

While children born in Hong Kong enjoy permanent resident status, their mainland parents do not, and many keep renewing three-month tourist or business visas in order to care for their children in Hong Kong schools.

"Those mainland parents are now seeking to rent accommodation in the border area to ensure they have a better chance of gaining admission for their children to a Hong Kong school," said Sammy Po, a director at Midland Realty.

Sham Wai-tong of Lung Fung Properties said he had witnessed an increase in the number of mainland parents renting flats in the area for older children over the past two to three years. "The trend is becoming more pronounced this year."

He said many parents, mostly from the mainland, had lined up overnight earlier this month to collect application forms for places at kindergartens in Sheung Shui and Fanling, adding that since July nearly 70 per cent of the leases handled by his agency were signed by mainland parents. Many of the flats were subdivided units of just 100 square foot in size in old buildings in Sheung Shui, which is one MTR station from Lo Wu, he said.

Over the past three months, rents in estates close to Fung Kai Kindergarten in Sheung Shui - the most popular school among mainland parents - have increased 10 per cent to HK$4,000 a month, or HK$40 per sq ft; those in Fanling have risen to HK$35 per sq ft.

"The rents are the same as those in some blue-chip housing estates, like in Taikoo Shing. Local residents are unlikely to pay such high rates," said Sham, adding that he expected rents to continue rising.

Jacyln Pun of Many Wells Property Agency said the firm recently found accommodation for a couple from Hunan. The couple rented a 350 sq ft flat in Siu Hong Court, Tuen Mun, for HK$8,000 a month in late August after their child was admitted to a primary school in a nearby area.

"Since they did not have proof of income, the landlord demanded they pay 14 months' rent upfront," she said. "That included a two-month deposit."


For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive



This article is now closed to comments

sudo rm -f cy
Do the mainlanders even live in the flats they rent, or are they really just renting the address so they can pretend to be residents?
I think that it's time government announces a new law where flat renting is subject to be in possession of an HKID ie someone who is authorized to live and/or work in HK.
Dumb proposal. Could you imagine you went to a foreign country and could not rent a flat? Time to stop treating mainland Chinese like animals. If you would not accept that treatment why push it on others.
Sorry but I don't see any country that will let you live and work without a valid Visa. Usually a tourist visa allows you to stay for 3 months.
Hence if you are on a holiday even a long one, there are other options such as service apartments.
I am not saying that this doesn't exist. I've seen it so many times, but the point is that it's illegal.
And I think it's fair to rent flat for people who "live" in the country not for think-to-be benefits s*cker.
Just an example on how difficult it is to rent a flat in Paris for example.
You need to prove that you have a valid and employment pay. Which 1/3 of the pay should be able to cover the rent.
Sometimes (not to say everytime) they need a person contact (and his income proof too ...) that can support the renter in case of cash issue.
This might be an extreme case, but just to put in light how too simple and uncontrolled is the flat rental in HK.
In the case mentioned in the article and in many mainland students renting flat case, they rent a flat with 1 year of rental.
For me that looks like those mafia/gangster movie where the guy come with suitcase full of cash and book the whole suite for few months.
This is not about mainland people here but more about how to sanify the property market.
No wonder the prices are going up and down in a blink.
Just see all that cash money, not legally verified and making the market moving.
That's just a thought.
I agree with donniemcm somewhat. In Japan, renting a place as a foreigner is near impossible. I'm not saying that HK should follow. It might also prevent people from renting houses as warehouses for stocking up on their iPhones and cans of milk powder.
In Australia, you need to show evidence of ability to pay the rent and bond, as in bank statements. Employment or residency are not essential. There are many overseas students who need accommodation but are not citizens or employed, and there is no lack of people who make a living from renting out to them.


SCMP.com Account