Cricket Hong Kong

Hong Kong Sixes organisers hope Australia players settle pay dispute in time for October event

Cricket Hong Kong says it is too early to worry about a row that could threaten the country’s participation in November’s Ashes series

PUBLISHED : Monday, 10 July, 2017, 12:29pm
UPDATED : Monday, 10 July, 2017, 6:58pm

Hong Kong Sixes organisers are refusing to panic over a payment dispute between Cricket Australia and their top players that may affect the team’s participation in the revived tournament in October.

Max Abbott, Cricket Hong Kong’s marketing and commercial director, said the body was hoping the two parties could sort out their differences before the October 28-29 tournament at Kowloon Cricket Club.

“I’m sure like everyone, we hope that both parties will come to an agreement long before the Sixes in Hong Kong,” said Abbott.

“We’re not worried about it for now, but for the sake of the players and CA we wish them the best in finding a resolution.”

The Australian Cricketers Associations, representing more than 200 men and women players, and CA are locked in a stand-off because the body wants to change the payment model of the past 20 years that would affect the income of cricketers in the domestic set-up.

Australian test captain Steve Smith said on Sunday the players would not back down and wants the revenue-sharing pay model to continue.

The dispute has already resulted in the cancellation of the Australia A tour to South Africa and there are fears it could jeopardise next month’s test tour to Bangladesh, a one-day series in India in September and November’s Ashes series against England.

The Hong Kong Sixes are being revived after five-year hiatus and CHK is keen to modernise the event and enhance the way people watch the tournament from the stands and through digital media.

Australia are one of eight countries being invited for the tournament. Abbott said that, so far, all targeted countries except India have accepted invitations to compete at the Hong Kong event.