image

Cricket Hong Kong

Sixes here to stay, say organisers, and will boost Hong Kong’s status as hub for short-form cricket

Tournament director Glyn Davies says the Cricket Hong Kong board is determined to ensure it is not a one-off event

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 13 September, 2017, 5:16pm
UPDATED : Friday, 27 October, 2017, 9:41am

Organisers of the Hong Kong Sixes are determined to ensure the tournament is here to stay and, along with the T20 Blitz, play a key role in enhancing the city’s reputation as a pioneer for short-form cricket.

Tournament director Glyn Davies, a Hong Kong cricket veteran, says the October 28-29 event is not a one-off and will hopefully once again become a regular feature on the international calendar.

“The message I’m getting from the [Cricket Hong Kong] board is that there is absolute determination to ensure it is a regular event,” said Davies. “As far as we’re concerned, it is back.

“The Blitz, after an unsure first year, the second year was much better and we’re building on that. The impression from the board is that, they are putting together a team – and I’m privileged to be part of it – to run the tournaments as part of the face of Hong Kong cricket.

“It won’t just be a one-off. We will have the Blitz next year and follow up with serious planning for the next Sixes. The annual planning is for two events.”

The Sixes, played at the Kowloon Cricket Club, returns to Hong Kong after five years during which the tournament suffered from a lack of sponsorship. Cricket Hong Kong had previously tried to gain support from the Hong Kong Mega Events Fund but eventually decided to go it alone and find its own commercial sponsors.

Watch: Glyn Davies interview from 2011

The Blitz was launched in 2016, although the first edition was heavily affected by bad weather. This year’s tournament was a huge success with five franchises playing over five days at Mission Road.

Hong Kong remains the only place in the world that hosts an international, ICC-sanctioned six-a-side tournament as well as a Twenty20 tournament that is completed in less than a week.

“I was talking about this the other day, and many of us can't understand why other associate countries haven’t taken this concept [T20 and sixes] on board,” said Davies.

“South Africa wanted to try a sixes event and Australia had their eights but that died a death. We are the only ones successfully running a sixes event, which is already recognised globally.

“It didn’t seem that anyone is wanting to challenge us for that role. It’s heartening for our board that we are able to stamp our mark in world events.”