Former world champion Frank Bruno denied an unlikely ring return at 54
Former world heavyweight champion’s unexpected bid for a return to boxing is dashed after he is told his application for a licence would be declined
Former world heavyweight champion Frank Bruno’s unexpected bid for a return to boxing was dashed on Monday after he was told his application for a licence would be declined.
Bruno, who has not fought since being knocked out by Mike Tyson in 1996, had made the surprise announcement that he wanted to mount an unlikely comeback to help cope with the effects of the medication he takes for bipolar disorder.
“They made me suicidal – mess up your head, mess up your clock – you can’t sleep,” Bruno said of the medication during an ITV interview.
“I’m walking around break-dancing I’ve got so much energy.
“I feel like superman, I’m going to the gym all the time, working hard – that’s why I’ve got to come into boxing ... to get this out of my system.”
But just hours later the 54-year-old Briton, who made his professional debut in 1982 and won the WBC heavyweight title against Oliver McCall in 1995, posted on Twitter that the British Boxing Board of Control had informed his agent that “should I apply for a licence this would not be granted”.
Bruno’s agent Dave Davies confirmed the board had been in touch, saying: “Frank, like many other former sports stars, misses the good times when he was in the boxing ring and watching his son train has reignited his wish to return to the ring.
“However we have had confirmation today that should an application for a boxing licence be received from Frank it would be declined. As agents for Frank we must respect and accept their decision.”