Heavyweight champion Tyson Fury was given doping suspension after positive nandrolone test, Ukad confirms

Fury’s ban, which was not made public at the time, has been lifted pending a hearing of the independent National Anti-Doping Panel

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 04 August, 2016, 10:42am
UPDATED : Thursday, 04 August, 2016, 7:51pm

World heavyweight champion Tyson Fury was provisionally suspended in June over the presence of a banned substance, the UK Anti-Doping (Ukad) organisation confirmed on Wednesday.

Fury’s ban, which was not made public at the time, has been lifted pending a hearing of the independent National Anti-Doping Panel (NADP).

The 27-year-old British fighter had said on Tuesday he would sue Ukad and the boxing authorities over reports he had used a performance-enhancing substance.

Ukad also said it suspended Hughie Fury, Tyson Fury’s cousin, and that he too would have his case heard by the NADP.

“In response to public comments made by Tyson and Hughie Fury’s representatives, UK Anti-Doping can confirm that both boxers were charged on 24 June 2016 with presence of a Prohibited Substance,” a UK Anti-Doping spokeswoman said

“Mandatory Provisional Suspensions were imposed pursuant to Article 7.9.1 of the UK Anti-Doping Rules.

“The UK Anti-Doping Rules allow athletes to challenge the imposition of a Provisional Suspension and the independent National Anti-Doping Panel (NADP) today lifted the athletes’ suspensions, pending full determination of the charges.

I’m no racist: boxing champion Tyson Fury ‘sorry’ for making offensive remarks in video rant

“These charges will be heard at a hearing before the NADP in due course.”

The Sunday Mirror reported in June that traces of the banned substance nandrolone were found in a urine sample taken from Tyson Fury in February 2015.

Fury refuted the claim and his legal team say the result of tests from March and May 2015 were contradictory.

Speaking earlier this week, Fury’s legal team said proceedings had been issued in the High Court over the allegations.

“The two boxers strenuously deny taking any performance-enhancing drugs,” lawyer Lewis Power said.

“However, during the last five weeks, leaks about these charges have appeared in the press and both boxers have been the targets of continual abusive language on Twitter.”

Since beating Ukrainian Wladimir Klitschko to win the WBA and WBO heavyweight titles in November, Fury has found himself embroiled in a series of controversies over his often outrageous comments.

He has been accused of homophobic, anti-semitic and sexist remarks, including an unpleasant jibe about Olympic champion Jessica Ennis-Hill in the build-up to the BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards last year.

Fury, who also holds the IBF and IBO belts, is due to make the first defence of his heavyweight titles in an October rematch against Klitschko.

An interim judgement on his suspension is expected before then.

The bout was due to take place in Manchester on July 9 but Fury pulled out after failing to recover from an ankle injury.