Joshua-Klitschko proposed heavyweight fight is off as Ukrainian suffers ‘minor injury’

Englishman’s promoter reveals plans to hold fight in spring of 2017

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 25 October, 2016, 9:25am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 25 October, 2016, 9:25am

Anthony Joshua’s proposed world heavyweight title fight with Wladimir Klitschko in December will not go ahead.

Promoter Eddie Hearn says Klitschko has a “minor injury.”

Hearn had announced earlier this month that terms had been “virtually” agreed for a fight between Joshua and Klitschko.

Klitschko lost the WBA belt to Tyson Fury last November, along with the IBF title. The IBF insisted on a rematch, leading Fury to vacate that belt which was won by Joshua against Charles Martin in April.

Wladimir Klitschko says British world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury dragging boxing ‘through the mud’

Joshua then defended it against Dominic Breazeale.

Fury then relinquished his remaining WBA, WBO and IBO titles earlier this month and stepped away from the sport.

Joshua’s opponent on December 10 could now be IBF mandatory challenger Joseph Parker, Bulgaria’s Kubrat Pulev or fellow British Olympian David Price.