Hong Kong's Rex Tso dispatches Thai opponent in a hurry

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 24 November, 2013, 11:19am
UPDATED : Sunday, 24 November, 2013, 11:13pm


Rex Tso Sing-yu told everyone he needed to watch out for Susu Sithjadeang. It turned out Tso was the one to watch. In one of his greatest and quickest professional fights, the 26-year-old put out his Thai challenger within 21/2 minutes in the first round to extend his unbeaten record to 11 professional fights.

Appearing on the undercard of the Clash in Cotai in Macau on Sunday morning, Susu, the “young and dangerous” fighter the Tso camp had feared, fought like a scared schoolboy. He landed just a couple of punches and they were ineffective against the aggressive Tso, who started like a man possessed, throwing leather from beginning to end.

Tso looked by far the superior fighter in the super flyweight contest. Susu didn’t even have time to warm up. He was hit early and he didn’t seem to have time to recover. It was over before the end of the first round. The crowd loved it.

“I hit him once early in the first round and he screamed … I knew I was hurting him. I knew I was going to win. I became more aggressive. I should have slowed down a bit. But I didn’t. I kept going,” said Tso.

“This is definitely one of my better performances. I am very happy. I give myself eight marks.”

Tso extended his unbeaten record to 11-0-0, 7 KOs, a very proud record. Tso is without doubt Hong Kong’s finest fighter and he proved it again as he moved closer to an Asian continental title.

Tso had Susu in trouble within seconds. Susu didn’t know what had hit him when Tso delivered a tame-looking left hook. Susu stepped back before his knees buckled. He fell to one knee before getting up. The referee went up to Susu and gave him a standing eight count.

The fight continued but Tso, sensing a quick and easy victory, went for the kill. He landed a series of hard blows to Susu’s body and threw nice combinations to Susu’s face. Susu couldn’t handle it. He appeared dazed and the referee stepped in, taking a good look at Susu before declaring the fight over – two minutes and 29 into the first round.

Tso said if he hadn’t been so anxious he would have won it with a powerful knockout punch. "I wanted to hit him really hard. It was too fast. I should have slowed it down and enjoyed the fight,” said the Wonder Kid.

Tso also said it was an “advantage” to fight in the morning rather than late at night as in previous competitions. The bouts were moved early in the morning to cater to US television audiences.

“I’m an early riser and I seem to feel my best in the morning when I feel strongest. When I fight at night, it takes the energy away because half of the time you are waiting and being anxious. This was extremely good for me,” said Tso.

Tso’s trainer, Jay Lau Chi-yuen, said he was pleased by Tso’s performance.

“I’ll give him 8.5 marks [out of 10]. I didn’t imagine he would win the fight so quickly. He managed to perform well,” said Lau.

“The most important thing is that Rex doesn’t become too proud. He has to learn to respect his opponent all the time. He entertained the crowd. He got what he deserved.”

Watch: Meet Hong Kong's first ever professional boxer, the undefeated Rex Tso