South China's new boss Wallace Cheung promises club will continue to be a major force
New convenor takes over from Steven Lo and pledges budget of HK$18-20 million
South China will continue to be major title contenders in Hong Kong, their newly appointed soccer convenor, Wallace Cheung Kwong-yung, promised fans.
The businessman takes over from Steven Lo Kit-sing, who led the club in his last match on Friday when they defeated Eastern 1-0 in the season playoff final to secure a berth for next year’s AFC Cup.
Lo’s decision to quit after eight years in charge of the soccer team came after he was convicted guilty by a Macau court in March for bribery and money laundering.
Cheung’s appointment had been widely speculated and was confirmed at a press conference on Sunday. He will serve for a two-year term.
“South China has a long tradition in soccer and we can promise our continued investment in the sport,” said Cheung. “We have set aside a budget of HK$18-20 million to order to mount challenges in domestic and overseas competitions.
“We have started talking with some of the players, home and overseas, and will bring our coaches to South America for a scouting trip soon,” said Cheung. “Our target is to make South China a force to be reckoned with not only in Hong Kong but also in the region and then worldwide.”
Captain Chan Wai-ho, striker Chan Siu-ki and midfielder Leung Chun-pong are still under contract with the club, while fullback Kwok Kin-pong has signed a one-year contract extension. Head coach Yeung Ching-kwong and his backroom staff will all stay with the club, according to Cheung.