image

Marco Fu

Neil Robertson downs Hong Kong’s Marco Fu in Cardiff, but refuses run at a maximum

Australian becomes second player in a week to turn down the opportunity to make 147 during his 4-2 win over Fu saying the cash prize on offer is too little

PUBLISHED : Friday, 19 February, 2016, 10:40am
UPDATED : Thursday, 30 June, 2016, 10:27am

Neil Robertson maintained his dominance over Hong Kong’s Marco Fu Ka-chun with a convincing win in the last 16 of the Welsh Open in Cardiff last night.

Maybe if it was a World Championship and there was £160,000 on offer, then maybe
Neil Robertson on pursuing a maximum break

‘The Thunder from Down Under’ scored impressively in his second big win over the Happy Valley-native in as many months, notching breaks of 126 and 141 on the way to a 4-2 victory, which sets up a quarter-final meeting with Chinese number one Ding Junhui on Friday.

The head-to-head between the Australian and Fu now stands at 6-4 to the world number three Robertson.

The Australian became the second player this week in Cardiff to cause a stir by passing up the opportunity to pursue a maximum break on the grounds that the £12,000 prize money wasn't enough.

Ronnie O’Sullivan hit the headlines earlier this week when he appeared to inquire to the match referee how much the cash prize for a maximum break was, before playing a pink to end his bid.

READ MORE: Ailing Marco Fu makes early Masters exit after being thrashed by Neil Robertson in London opener

Robertson also opted to play for the pink having already potted seven reds and seven blacks in frame four of the match when the maximum appeared to be on.

“If I was playing my first-round match I probably would have gone for it but not against Marco. It was 2-1 at the time so it was a pretty important part of the match,” said the 34-year-old.

“Maybe if it was a World Championship and there was £160,000 on offer, then maybe.

“The pot I went for was 10 out of 10 if I just play it normally, and with check side it’s probably eight or nine out of 10, so I can’t really take the risk.”

Meanwhile, Englishman O’Sullivan downed China’s Yu Delu 4-1 with minimum fuss to make the last eight. He will now face world number one Mark Selby on Friday.

I’m pleased to still be in the tournament. No matches here are a gimme
Ronnie O’Sullivan

“I’m pleased to still be in the tournament. No matches here are a gimme,” said O’Sullivan.

“Yu Delu is a brilliant player so I was a bit nervous at the start. I maybe was giving him a little bit too much respect. I lost the first frame but got some momentum going after.”

Four-time world champion John Higgins was knocked out 4-1 by 24-year-old Welshman Michael White.

World number six Judd Trump was also beaten after missing a potential match-winning black before allowing Joe Perry to take the decider.