Wimbledon 2016

Steep learning curve for Hong Kong teen Anthony Jackie Tang at Junior Wimbledon

17-year-old loses in first round, going down in three sets against Australian Blake Ellis

PUBLISHED : Monday, 04 July, 2016, 11:39pm
UPDATED : Tuesday, 05 July, 2016, 12:32pm

Hong Kong teenager Anthony Jackie Tang lost in the first round at Junior Wimbledon on Monday, going down in three sets against Blake Ellis of Australia.

Tang lost 4-6, 6-2, 6-1 to his fellow 17-year-old after qualifying for the grand slam for the first time.

He got off to a flier, breaking Ellis in the opening game and racing to a 5-1 lead in the first set before being pegged back.

But Ellis, ranked 32 in the junior world rankings to Tang’s 102, streaked away in the second and third sets, breaking Tang in the fourth and eighth games of the second set and hardly giving him a look-in in the deciding third.

“I played a very good first set, lost my serve at 1-2 in the second and the momentum swung in his direction and he became much more confident and aggressive,” said Tang.

“I found myself playing too defensively and allowed him to dominate.”

The main man: Hong Kong teenager Anthony Jackie Tang qualifies for Wimbledon juniors’ main draw

Michael Walker, Hong Kong Tennis Association director of player development, said it would be a valuable learning experience for his charge, especially after he beat two higher-ranked players to qualify for the main draw, the first time a Hong Kong player had done so since 2005.

“Jackie started brilliantly taking a 5-1 lead in the first set, and then started to be a little defensive and allowed Blake to gain in confidence which he built on in the second set,” he said.

“Blake is a good player and is the current Australian Open junior doubles winner, and Jackie learnt a tremendous amount in the last week or so which I’m sure will improve his game going forward.”

Tang’s spell at Wimbledon continues in the doubles on Tuesday.