• Mon
  • Dec 22, 2014
  • Updated: 1:19am
SportOther Sport

Sport Digest, October 31, 2012

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 31 October, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 31 October, 2012, 12:35am

Tuen Mun release eight players as boss departs

First Division soccer side Tuen Mun released eight of their players, including captain Li Haiqiang, and all their coaching staff yesterday following the sudden departure of their club president. Chan Keung, the club's major financier, withdrew from his position yesterday. The club gave no reason for his departure. Tuen Mun have been enjoying a fine run this season and are currently fourth in the standings after holding champions Kitchee 1-1 at the weekend. The dismissed players are mostly high-earners such as Li Ming, Yip Tsz-chun, Lin Zhong and their two foreign players, striker Daniel Quevedo who has scored four goals so far and defender Mauricio da Luz. Others have been retained but requested to accept wage cuts. Lo Kwong-chung will take over as head coach from Yan Lik-kin. Chan Kin-wa
 

'Brawling' Tomic told to take rest from tennis

Bernard Tomic should take a good long rest at the end of a tennis season to forget, former Australia Davis Cup captain Roger Rasheed said yesterday in response to media reports that the 20-year-old had been involved in a brawl on Australia's Gold Coast. Police were called to separate Tomic and a friend in the early hours of Monday morning. Tomic accused Gold Coast police last year of victimising him and he will face a magistrates court hearing on motoring charges stemming from those incidents next week. "I wouldn't hit another ball if I was Bernard Tomic. I would just sort everything out, see where I'm at ... if it took him three months now, six months or whatever it took him," Rasheed said. "You need to sort out the basics and the platform otherwise it'll raise it's ugly head again.." After peaking at 27th in the world rankings in June, however, Tomic has slumped to 49th. Reuters
 

Rovers eye Redknapp and Maradona

Blackburn Rovers are eyeing Harry Redknapp and Diego Maradona to take over from Steve Kean in the manager's chair after he quit his post last month, British media claimed yesterday. Former Tottenham boss Redknapp, 65, has most frequently been linked to the vacant position at Ewood Park and was said to be meeting officials at the English Championship soccer side, the reports said. But Argentina legend Maradona has also been named as a possible successor to Kean. Redknapp has categorically denied any talks or that he will replace Kean. "It's not something I would look to do or look to do in the future. It's not for me," he told Sky Sports News. AFP

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or