• Wed
  • Aug 27, 2014
  • Updated: 5:07pm
SportOther Sport
YACHTING

Controversy hits Sydney to Hobart yacht race as Wind Thing banned

Officials kick supermaxi Wild Thing out of regatta before start amid paperwork issues

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 27 December, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 27 December, 2012, 4:30am

The Sydney to Hobart yacht race got off to a controversial start yesterday with fancied supermaxi Wild Thing ruled out at the last minute due to paperwork issues.

Race favourite Wild Oats XI, tipped for a sixth line honours win and hoping to clock a new race record, led the 76-strong fleet out of Sydney Harbour. It held a slender lead over Ragamuffin Loyal, with Lahana in third place as the yachts sailed down the coast of New South Wales into a strong southerly wind.

But the start of the annual 628-nautical mile bluewater classic was overshadowed by the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia (CYCA)'s decision to bar Grant Wharington's 100-footer Wild Thing from the race due to paperwork problems.

The 2003 line honours winner was among the top three favourites but officials scratched it just three hours before the start citing incomplete documentation of major modifications extending the vessel to 100 feet.

It would have been Wharington's 25th Sydney to Hobart and the veteran skipper said he had been "blindsided" and was "dumbfounded" at the decision.

"We are absolutely devastated to be told at the 11th hour that we are unable to race to Hobart," a furious Wharington said.

"We're a bit stuck for words as to why it happened, the situation, we provided the documentation - I've got it in my hand."

Wharington said he had been granted approval to race yesterday and had received no indication in the hours before the decision that there was a problem.

He attended the final pre-race briefing yesterday and was doing the last run-through with his crew on board the yacht, his phone switched off, when race officials announced Wild Thing's disqualification to the media.

"As everybody turned their phones back on, [there were] obviously hundreds of messages that it was all over the press, that we were knocked out, and we were absolutely dumbfounded," he said, blasting it as "nonsensical" and claiming he was the victim of a conspiracy.

CYCA commodore Howard Piggott said officials had been working with Wharington for days on the documents, giving him until 10am on race morning to file the necessary proof that his modifications met international standards.

"However, that has not been forthcoming, and the race committee has no option but to not accept the entry of Wild Thing," Piggott said. "This is the final decision of the race committee that puts safety first."

Piggott said it was disappointing but insisted the CYCA had made every effort and the matter was "out of our hands".

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or